We know this is a difficult time for everyone especially with an extension to the lockdown announced last week. Here are some tips for you to support your child during this time:
Acknowledge Your Child's Feelings
- Allow them to ask questions and express their feelings.
- Let them know that feeling sad and anxious about having to stay home for another 7 days is okay.
Share your feelings
- Share with them how you feel. This will create a deeper connection and also show them that even adults feel different emotions.
- However, make sure to show them that you are still their safe harbour!
- Make plans for the near future. Where are you going when lockdown is lifted? What are you going to eat when we can dine out again?
- Make plans for fun things that we can do in the next 7 days. Come up with a new game that the family can play together, or a project that you can all help with.
- This will be reassuring for the kids and will give them something to look forward to.
Keep healthy routines
- Maintain a routine for your children and for yourself.
- Involve your kids in household tasks such as making snacks for everyone.
Move your body
- Exercise helps release happy hormones.
- Kick a footy in the backyard or go out for walks.
- If the weather won’t let us go outside, we can move our bodies by dancing, doing 3-5 -minute exercises, or even hide and seek.
When the time comes to transition back to school or kinder, our Back to School Tip Sheet has some helpful ideas.
Child Mind Institute and toddler.com.au